Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Seriously?

Today my mom called me complaining of abdominal pain.  Bad abdominal pain.  I suggested she go to the Emergency Room, but she came up with every excuse in the book.  What is it with people who don't want to get help?  Gosh darn stubborn people in my life!  I made a quick trip to her house and after a little bit of tough love, we were in the car and on our way.

Would you believe me if I told you we got the exact same room in the Emergency Room that E. was last in?  What are the odds of THAT???  Oh yes, same nurse and everything.  Blood work, a urine sample, a CT scan.  My brother arrived and we settled in for what we figured would be a long wait.  It wasn't long at all when the doctor returned and announced that the CT showed a 3.5 cm mass in her pancreas.  Are you frickin' kidding me?  If this wasn't happening right in front of me, I'm not sure I'd believe it.

Long story, short ... she was admitted to the hospital to get a jump start on things.  A CT with contrast was completed tonight of the chest and abdomen.  A biopsy will be done in the morning.  A call was put in to the oncologist.  With the holidays and vacations undoubtedly on the books, I'm sure we'll be running into delays after delays.  I'm crossing my fingers we can get some sort of plan in place sooner rather than later.  I function better with a plan.  It makes me a little less crazy.

(Yes, she's on the oncology floor.  Yes, I requested that she not be placed in E's same room.  Yes, we saw lots of familiar nurses.  Yes, it was very difficult.  Yes, we continue on.)

S.

6 comments:

  1. I sit here stunned, seriously. The only thing that comes to me is she is lucky to have you too. Huge hugs to you and all of yours. Jacque in Elko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable......BOO
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy. I wish I could just give you a big hug! Girl have you ever earned a break!! I'm so sorry about E. You deserved your happily ever after. I pray no more medical crisis over you and each one of your brood. Much love to you my old Triplet Connection friend.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. God only gives us what we can handle but oh my gosh girl? you are strong willed and have definitely proved you can do the job. My prayers to your mother. Much love sent to you

    ReplyDelete