Sunday, December 30, 2012

Daddy is Always with Us

Peanut misses his dad like crazy, but doesn't understand where his dad is.  While we've had many conversations about heaven and God, he just can't grasp those abstract concepts.

Dad's in heaven.  Where's heaven?
Heaven is a wonderful place in the sky.  Can we go visit?
God is taking care of daddy now.  Who is God?
God takes cares of us.  No, my daddy takes care of us.
Dad is not sick anymore.  He's all better in heaven.  Can we go pick him up then?

Yes, I realize I don't have a strong religious background, but I try my best.

After having a variety of discussions with Peanut, none of which seemed to satisfy his mind or his heart, I think we finally came up with one that worked (at least for now).

Dad is always with us.  Close your eyes.  Can you see him?  Peanut scrunched his eyes up tight and his whole face squished in concentration.  Suddenly he broke into a big smile, "I can see him!"

Dad is always in your heart.  Think about him.  Can you feel him?  Peanut put his hands over his heart and sighed, "I can feel him."

So now when Peanut gets to missing daddy, he closes his eyes and puts his hands over his heart and he reminds me, "Daddy is always with us."

S.

5 comments:

  1. Yep. He's always with you. In your thoughts and in your hearts. Forever.

    That's an awesome explanation you gave Peanut Sandy. Just awesome.

    Sending love and prayers.

    Ali
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words for the sadness, the sweetness ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried like a baby upon reading this... you are so patient and know just how to fix it...hand over the heart to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears. You are such a beautiful mama, Sandy... so much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete