Monday, December 3, 2012

Hospice

We spoke at length to E.'s oncologist this morning.  The cancer is an ugly beast.  It has taken over his body.  It has taken his strength.  It has taken his appetite.  He isn't strong enough to tolerate chemotherapy.  Even if he were, the cancer would probably be stronger than the chemo.  So, we've made the decision to go home on hospice and try to make these last days good ones.

Please respect that this is his decision.  It was not a decision that was made easily.  We are educated people who have a team of trusted doctors that we respect and consult with, both here locally and at MD Anderson in Texas.  When he was initially diagnosed in February of 2009, we were told that his life expectancy was "less than 2 years."  He has far surpassed that.  Not only did he far surpass that, but he far surpassed that with some darn good years.  We made some great memories.  We need to remember that.

Although we know that people mean well, we don't need to hear phrases like "Keep fighting."  There is nothing left to fight.  Please don't tell us about your Great Aunt Frieda who was told she only had months to live, but started on a raw food diet and ate seeds from a chia pet from Mozambique and is now doing great five years later.  Or your neighbor's friend's sister who went to that clinic in Mexico for a herbal treatment and is now "cured."  Really.  Don't do it.

This is not about E. giving up.  This is about E. accepting the hand of cards that he was dealt.  Like he so eloquently said, he is at peace with his life.  He is a good man, a man of high morals and great integrity and he knows that.  He worries about his family and his children.  He worries that Peanut will not know who he was.  But, as for his life, he is good with that.  That is a goal we should all strive for.

We're hoping to be released from the hospital today or tomorrow.  Because of where the cancer is, it is anticipated that his abdomen will fill with fluid again.  In an effort to prevent us from having to go back and forth to the hospital, they are going to surgically insert a drainage tube (so the fluid can just constantly drain into a bag).  Once that happens, then he can be discharged.  It sounds like the cancer of pancreas is notoriously painful, so hospice will have to stay on top of the pain management.  Those of you that know E., can imagine that he's already voiced his opinion about that.  He does NOT want to spend his last days "drugged up."

His time is limited.  Very limited (the doctor estimated he has two to four weeks left).  He is tired.  He wants to rest and enjoy the little time he has left with his family.  At the risk of offending friends, he doesn't want visitors at this time.  Feel free to send cards or email or text any messages you might want relayed.  Please, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers during this holiday season.  We are losing a man that means the world to us.

15 comments:

  1. What a confusing journey. M heart breaks with yours and I feel so very helpless and far away. I'd love to send dinner, come do laundry, ease your burdens. You're in our hearts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting in my office sobbing for each of you. Not only do I respect E's decision, I am in awe of a man who knows when that decision needs to be made. I hope I have that strength and courage when it is my time to be dealt this hand. May God Bless and Keep each and every one of you. If you need to get away, our home is open to your tribe. It will be tight but that's what we do, we stick together, because people who need support know how to give it. I'm sending all my love, prayers and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeping for you, my dear friend. Just weeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is breaking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I'm crying here for you and your family. I wish you and yours a lot of love, warmth and strength. I hope for many good moments and memories and that there will be smiles in between the tears. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. I have so much respect for you and your family. E is a strong, wonderful man. He has a wonderful family who loves him and that is a beautiful thing in itself. "We cannot change the cards we are dealt, only the hand we play."

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't know one another - but I've been following your blog for a while. Just know that prayers are coming your way from Mississippi. It is obvious you and E. have peace.... and I pray that that peace continues to cover your, E., and all who love and care for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending love. Saying prayers for strength, for peace, for effective and 'E acceptable' pain medication. Giving thanks for the love you and E share. And feeling great sorrow.

    Ali
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently lost my mom to a silent long battle of breast cancer hospice was her only option I found Her best pain medication was oxyfast she did not pass in pain and Was not drugged up. My prayers go out to E and his family through these rough time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though our hearts break, we respect your decision and know that no one "gave up". The fight was hard and the time you did have gave you beautiful memories. Peanut will know his father - loved ones will make sure of that. Yes, you are a good man - one I love and respect with all my heart. And Sandy, it means sooo much that he has you in his life and that you have kept us all updated.

    Peace and Love,
    -Frances-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy,
    God knows the beginning and the end! He blessed you with such a beautiful person for you to bring a young one in his name to continue on through this world. I will be praying for you and your precious family! I will pray for comfort for him and healing and peace for the rest of you. You are such an amazing, strong woman and God will be there with you to the end. God bless you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs Horton, I worked with Earl from 1988 till 1998 in Detention at Whittenberg. Earl was always nice to me and I appreciated his kindness. I have been following the Blog now for over three years and I was hopeful for his recovery. Earl, yourself and you family are in my thoughts. Sue Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you Earl. It was so great to sit and have a beer with you when I was last in Reno. Sandy, my heart breaks for you. I'll be thinking of you both. ~Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love you guys. Wish I could help. Wish I could find something to say. Holding vigil in my heart for you.
    Love,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart is hurting for you Sandy. E will be healed, just not this side of heaven as we have prayed. God's answers aren't always what we want them to be. But healing will come. I'm praying for you all. We are traveling the same road and praying for a miracle but we have to trust God through it all. That's no easy task for me. Love on that man every minute you can.
    xoxo
    Lynn P.

    ReplyDelete