Sunday, December 9, 2012

Decline

E. had several visitors on Saturday and was able to hold intermittent conversations.  He recognized folks and reminisced a bit about old college days.  The stories shared made me chuckle.  There is no way I can do them justice.  Streaking down Virginia Street?  Football games in the Bay area?  ATO stories galore?  Tales of old time Wittenberg?  I love the stories.  I have heard so many of them from E.'s perspective, but to hear them from other people just made me smile.  These are stories that Peanut needs to hear.  He needs to know who his dad was and how this man came to be.  I sincerely hope that people will take the time to share their thoughts and memories on paper, so I can save them for Peanut when he is older.

Saturday night was rough.  E. grew more and more confused.  He was restless and agitated.  He was hallucinating.  He mumbled incoherently throughout the night.  Pain medication needs to be administered more and more often.  Sunday morning, he woke up agitated and nauseous.  Despite giving him anti-nausea medication, he threw up on himself and on his bedding.  Getting him and his bedding changed was a three-man job.  E. is no longer mobile.  He cannot stand without assistance.  Even then, it is only for mere minutes.  There is no walking, even with his walker.  He is not sitting in the recliner next to his bed.  He is in his bed full-time.  He opens his eyes occasionally and recognizes family members, but is no longer having conversations.  He frequently mumbles random statements that do not make sense.  He is also seeing things.  He is reaching for things that are not there.  More often than not, he does not respond.  The hospice nurse drained 1 liter of fluid from his abdomen yesterday.  I drained 2 liters today.  His blood pressure is dropping and his pulse is going up.  How quickly he declined from yesterday to today is mind-boggling.  There is lots of hand-holding and arm-rubbing, or just quietly sitting beside him.  He is not resisting pain medication and for that we are thankful.  We are doing our best to make sure he is comfortable and to make sure he knows he is loved.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sad for you all, so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy, I am a neighbor from the Northwest. My daughters have gone to school with Morgan and Katie Bug since Kinder. Earl and Peanut just came by our house a couple months ago to give us some encouragement. Just like Earl to think of others first! Peanut is so cute. Hugs to you all!
    Karyl and Tom Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. As hard as they are, these moments are to treasure. Much love and many prayers to you all.

    Love,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweetie! All I can do is keep sending my love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of all of you and keeping you in our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is not a manual on how to do what you are doing Sandy. But you are writing one as you walk through this tragedy, and you are writing it well. Stay strong, and ask for help when you need it.
    Praying!
    Lynn P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could be as positive as you have been with your encouraging blog to share your triumphs and sadness, love is not withheld in any form from your story. Yes we have loved RoadRunner from a distance, silently and now I wish I could have been a more active part of his life, never knowing for sure tomorrow will come with sunshine in the forecast. I will always treasure our "Wizard of Oz" Halloween when we were all young children. Much love and prayers sent to you and all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy...Earl was one of my pals when I lived on E. 2nd Street, and a friend during high school. I got to see him a couple years ago for lunch while visiting Reno. I'll treasure that memory. You are an incredible person and Earl is so fortunate that you and he have each other. Strong, positive thoughts for you and all the kids. Rob McKinney

    ReplyDelete