Thursday, February 19, 2009

No stent for now

We met with Dr. N. today and discussed the possibility of a stent. We brought up what we had learned through our research. Dr. N. agreed that the concerns raised were valid. He further stated that a stent would not necessarily make E. more comfortable when it comes to eating and that a stent may not add all that much. He suggested that the timing of stent depends on how E. is doing clinically. Certainly if E. were unable to swallow food at all or if he had difficulty simply swallowing oral secretions (saliva), a stent would be warranted.

As E. describes it, he is able to swallow food pretty good most of the time. He tends to feel full very easily, even after small quantities of food. The biggest problem for him currently is that after he eats, he has very uncomfortable upper stomach pain. The pain shows in his facial expressions and is significant enough that he cannot sleep. Dr. N. explained that the pain might still be associated with food stuck in the esophagus due to the tumor, even though E. feels the pain in his stomach rather than his esophagus. Dr. N. was willing to prescribe sleeping medication and/or pain medication, but can anyone guess what E.’s response was? This is the man that wouldn’t even take Tylenol after a root canal. He simply doesn’t like putting “unnecessary” (according to him) medication in his body. So needless to say, he turned down all medication offers.

Because E. is still able to get food down, Dr. N. suggested this course of action:
· increase E.’s caloric intake (because of E.’s diabetes, we’re going to have to be especially creative…if we’re unsuccessful, they may just have to manage E.’s blood sugars through different medications to get the calories into him)
· “graze and sip” all day long, rather than trying to eat 3 big meals
· try to drink 2 Glucernas (diabetic caloric drink) each day
· increase non-caffinated fluid as much as possible
· track weight closely (as a side note, E. has lost 5 lbs. in the 10 days)

Dilation is another option to widen E.’s esophagus, although Dr. N. doesn’t recommend doing that regularly as it can be risky and possibly perforate (put a hole in) the esophagus, creating even more problems. A feeding tube would be considered only if a stent were no longer an option, as they like to keep things as “normal” as possible.

E.’s blood pressure was noticeably low today….quite possibly due to the fact that he has resumed his Diabetes medication and not gotten in enough liquids, and is thereby dehydrated. E., of course, thinks that it might also be related to the fact that he hasn’t worked out lately. He is anxious to work out again and received the okay from the doctor, although the doctor told him to take it easy and listen to his body as he would fatigue easily.

We also discussed the pending appointments with Dr. L. (radiation oncologist) and Dr. B. (chemotherapy oncologist) scheduled for Monday. In speaking with other people, we were not able to gather much information about these two doctors (either positive or negative), but had heard great things about Drs. S. and S. Dr. N. was very receptive to referring us to Drs. S. and S., but after a few phone calls, we discovered that the earliest we would be able to see either doctor was more than two weeks away. Therefore, we will continue with the current plan of seeing Dr. L. and Dr. B. on Monday. We are still hoping to been seen at UCDavis as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Earl - Its Stephanie from parole. I have been looking at this site figuring out the blog thing since last week (I am a dummy with technology). Anyhow I think the blog idea is a big help - my heart and thoughts are with you. Just some info about oncologists in the area - My mom was recently (and in the past) diagnosed with cancer (breast) and her doctor the first time was Dr. Conrath (chemo) who is awesome and this time around Drs Shiff and Shields will be doing the chemo - so far they seem good but I dont have an opinion on them yet sinc the actual chemo is yet to be started - Dr Conrath is no longer on my mom's insurance anymore unfortunatly. Dr Tay is my mom's radiation oncologist and he is really great too. Anyhow, I will be watching on the blog and thinking about you. Please take care. Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Earl, You have been on my mind, and in my heart. I just wanted to let you know that we are all behind you and if you need anything, I mean anything, we are there. I am there. You and your family will be in my prayers everyday. I know the road ahead seems rocky, but if I can inspire you in anyway, you know that I have been down a familiar road with my son, through Chemo and Radiation and even the dark can become bright. Hold your head high, keep positive, know the power of positive prayer and know how very much you are deeply loved. Keep strong and I thank Sandy for being there for you, she is a blessing.
    My friend please take care and God Bless.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it is Debi T- I have left the board and I'm on facebook instead. Couldn't take the battles anymore. BUT- University of Michigan specializes in Esophegal Cancer. My mom goes to church with an 8 year survivor who went there. I know it is a distance- but with Southwest flying into Detroit- might be an option.
    I also can do research via the NCI- National Cancer Institute as a physician- I have a sign in. If you need anything- I'm on facebook- Debi Trauth- in Cincy.
    Holding everyone in the warm healing light of healing and strength.

    ReplyDelete