Thursday, September 30, 2010

Trained

I'm trained and ready to go. I now know how to flush an IV. I now know how to give IV anti-biotics. We've got a whole bag of supplies ... tubing, caps, sleeves, alcohol wipes, gloves, 4 X 4's, saline syringes and of course, bags of anti-biotics. Thankfully, I don't actually have to insert the IV needle, but I suppose at this point if I had to learn to do that, I would cowboy up and do that too. E. just has a peripheral IV (no PICC line) and it should last for about four days. He has to go back on Monday for labs, as do all the infusion patients (so they've dubbed it "Bloody Monday") and he'll get a new IV then. He only has 8 to 10 days left of anti-biotics left. We're thinking he got pretty lucky after hearing that most of the infusion patients have IV's for a minimum of 6 weeks. This home IV system is real high-tech too ... we hang the bag from the wall with a push pin/thumb tack. He only gets his IV anti-biotics once a day and they take 30 to 40 minutes to run, so no need to drag an IV pole around for that little bit. This little bump in the road will be over before we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment