Friday, July 3, 2009

Gotta keep fighting

I've been sitting in front of this computer screen all morning. I'm having difficulty finding the right words. My fingers type out a few sentences, but nothing is coming out right. Type. Delete. Type. Delete. How do I convey all the emotions of it? How do I share our experiences so that others might understand? How do I explain the seriousness of it all without making it sound all gloom and doom? How do I express our determination and our hopes without minimizing what we are dealing with?

E. walks by and rolls his eyes at me, wondering what is possibly taking me so long. "Want me to do it?" he asks.

"There's more cancer. Gotta keep fighting." Done. All in E.'s words.

If you're like me though, that doesn't tell enough of the story. For those of you that want more, here it goes . . .

On Wednesday, we received a message that we had an appointment with the medical oncologist the following morning. It wasn't tough to figure out how the biopsy results came back since we were meeting with the oncologist and not the surgeon. While we knew this was a distinct possibility, it still came as a blow. It was a huge let-down, a major disappointment. All the possible 'what if' scenarios raced through our minds which can be a tad bit overwhelming as you might imagine.

By the time we met with the doctor though, we were ready to fight again. Ready to face the latest challenges head-on. Ready to do what needs to be done.

There is no beating around the bush with these doctors. They lay it out there. At the same time though, they are not discouraged or discouraging. Dr. A. showed us the results of E.'s latest PET/CT scan on the computer. The injected radioactive glucose is taken up by cancer cells (which are rapidly dividing cells and need energy for growth) and shows up as a yellow/gold color on the scan. Red = good; yellow = bad. The lymph node by his right clavicle glowed yellow like a beacon in the night. Why this didn't show up or was never seen on the PET/CT done in Reno we do not know. It was pretty tough to miss, even for two folks who had never even seen a PET before. There was also speckles of yellow in the radiated area of the originating tumor. AND yellow in the polyps in the stomach. All cancer.

The doctor explained that the big issue is that E. has already had chemotherapy and radiation, and he still has cancer. Specifically, he still has cancer where the radiation was given. Because the cancer survived the chemotherapy and radiation, it was described as a "tough" cancer. Technically, one would think, "Why can't you just remove the esophagus, the stomach and the cancerous lymph nodes?" Dr. A. explained . . . Because the cancer went to the shoulder region, it knows how to travel. We don't know if it is anywhere else, but we have to assume it is. If E. were to undergo this intensive surgery, it would take a long while for him to recover and during that recovery, the cancer could grow and spread. His weakened body wouldn't be able to fight off the cancer or handle the chemotherapy drugs. So, surgery could actually make things worse at this point.

At the recommendation of his team at MD Anderson, E. now faces a new chemotherapy protocol of four different drugs. We'll meet with the local oncologist in Reno and E. will hopefully be able to get all his treatment in Reno, where he can sleep in his own bed every night. E.'s then scheduled to go back to MD Anderson at the beginning of September for PET/CT scans to see if the selected treatment is working.

I guess E.'s words really did summarize it all . . . There's more cancer. Gotta keep fighting.

S.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot possibly know how you feel but my heart just breaks for both of you and all the family. I wish everyone could just take a day of your treatment and pain so it could be spread around and we could feel useful and give you guys a break. It doesn't work that way...:( We will encourage you to keep up the fight and send positive thoughts and appreciate every day.

    All my love and prayers,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just gonna second what Frances said...

    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how these doctors have given you a treatment plan. I like that they have closed their book on E and sent you home. They've given you a treatment plan, sent you home and also given a date for reassessment.

    Yes, it's a continued fight. But there's a plan for the fight.

    I'm praying the plans a brilliant one.

    Much love

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you all in my prayers... let me know if there's anything I can do to help... with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "there's more cancer. gotta keep fighting" So Earl - no wasted words here - and so true! I too am glad you have a plan and pray it is a brilliant one. E3 is beautiful.....love the photos.

    Much love
    Sande Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, its been a while since I"ve checked this blog and I'm overwhelmed with the amount of news, both good and bad. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be sitting in the same room and hearing it first hand! I think of you both and pray for you every day. I figured when E didnt' call me back this morning, that there was a reason--unfortunately, I was right. I'm so sorry to hear of this news. I hope that with all the prayers and positive thoughts from all of us, as well as E's keep fighting attitude, that only good news and improvement are in the near future! THanks Sandy for keeping us all informed! TAke care for now, MAP

    ReplyDelete