Monday, August 23, 2010

Surgery is Scheduled

We were able to speak with the doctors at MD Anderson early this morning. They were able to review the CT report and the MRI report. They agreed that the tumors needed to be removed as soon as possible. They supported having the surgery locally as traveling is a concern. Not only are E.'s blood sugar levels problematic, but there is a significant risk of the tumors pushing on areas of the brain causing seizures. Although E. has yet to experience a seizure, we certainly don't want to be on an airplane if one hits.

We've spoken to several people about the neuro surgeon and have heard nothing but rave reviews. The final confirmation came when E. was able to talk to an old college buddy who is a surgeon as well. He stated, without reservation, that there is one neuro surgeon he would recommend hands down ... and that's the one E. has!

So, it's settled. E. is scheduled for brain surgery ("right fronto occipital craniotomy") ... tomorrow (Tuesday, August 24th) at 4:00 pm. We've been told by the floor nurse that surgery is expected to last about three hours, but we haven't yet received any details from the doctor. He'll be in to review things with us in the morning.

Because of E.'s slow moving digestive system, he's on a liquid diet today and he'll switch to nothing by mouth at midnight. There will be no midnight runs to Wendy's. And in order to insure that, E.'s hospital bed now has the alarm activated. Anytime he gets out of bed, the alarm goes off. You can imagine how happy that makes him.

As it stands now, the plan is to have surgery at 4:00 tomorrow afternoon, spend a couple of days in ICU, a few more days in a regular room, and then go home. I will do my best to update the blog as I can, since I know many of you want the news as we get it.

We appreciate all the prayers, thoughts and positive mojo. We're using every bit of it.

S.

2 comments:

  1. I will continuing praying for E. and all of you! I never went to the regular room. I checked out of ICU and came home. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a nurse or two in the family but I'm telling you those steroids make you tough, it's when they wear off that it is a problem. You find out how tough you aren't. The other thing is, the I.V. medication is much better than the RX you get when you check out. You may want to have him wear a bike helment when he gets home so if he does have a seizure, he won't undo anything they've done for him. It made me feel better about the possibility of hitting my head. However, the anti-seizure medications are amazing and they work. So the helment is useful when your weaning off of them. I would also tell you to research any maintenance medication if they suggest any before you agree to take them. I refused all medication, except the pain medication, and I'm so glad I did. You will find most often the side effects can sometimes out weigh any benefits....just saying research them. To this day I have never taken anything. I eat blueberries everyday (they are excellant brain food) and almonds. I know it sounds crazy but so is the whole idea of a craniotomy and brain surgery. I LOVE NEURO SURGEONS and E. will to one day....Here's holding all you in my thoughts and prayers! Sandy don't forget to rest and eat it's just as important for you to take care of you too!...Jacque-Elko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    I last read your blog a few days ago, and all looked great. How quickly things change.

    You and E. are in my thoughts! You've come through so much already... I know you'll do fine with this one too!

    Much love,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete