Sunday, November 8, 2009

New Rules

E. called me this morning on my way back to the hospital and informed me that a new nurse had come on shift. With this new nurse, came "new rules." Supposedly, she reviewed the policy and interpreted "isolation" differently.

E. is now confined to his room. He cannot leave. The door must be shut. The nurse will no longer wear a mask, gown and gloves when entering his room, but rather a space suit (SCBA at all!). Visitors will be limited to adult family members. Visiting times will also be limited. And the part that really chapped my hide . . . the nurse would be CALLING HIM ON THE PHONE to check on him! What the ??? If that's the case, think they can just call him at home?

I walked into the hospital ready to scrap. I got to E.'s room, only to find all sorts of new notices and warnings posted all over his door. I grabbed a mask and was about to open the door, when THE NURSE stopped me. She greeted me with, "I was warned you would be coming." Needless to say, we didn't get off to a good start. I bit my tongue although I was really ready to throttle her.

So, here I am, in E's room. Thinking of the various options. Trying to collect some facts. Figuring out who I am going to call. Deciding how I am going to proceed. Reminding myself to be diplomatic and calm. Grrrrr.

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment